Sunday, September 20, 2015

Day 4 at Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center

Each day of this exhibition my "wall" has been in a different location.

Today's location was in front of the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center.

 
People who ventured down to this part of  downtown were well aware of the festival.

I have found that the materials I use need to be presented on the printed matter. When I would explain that I use collected cemetery flowers the mood immediately took on a more profound sense of loss.

Detail

It is always nice to interact with those with different opinions or perhaps a different take on the same opinion.

I did have a conversation with a white lady that had two black children. I explained to her my take on the piece and she was immediately defensive. She said, "And what about the white cops getting killed? I think all lives matter." Part of public art is to put your work out there for public opinion.
I told her I did understand her take on this but that is not the focus of my work and that I feel a police being shot is sadly an occupational hazard. She seemed put off by this.  I never know when people encounter my work just where they stand....though throughout this showing....there seemed to be a pattern...though there were some surprises.

The Blue Wall
 
 
I did find that presenting both sides of the wall while not obstructing the flow of sidewalk traffic made me favor the target side more. When presented in New York I will better focus on presenting both sides equally.
 
Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center
 
 
 It is vital as artists to be ever present when addressing issues that completely mold our vision.

It is hard to believe this part of Faded Glory is over. It has been a great experience. I will continue to process this show and take that knowledge and Faded Glory to New York in two weeks.

With deepest gratitude to Ed Woodham, The Orlando AiOP Team, Virginia Sowell, Antonio Hernandez and Melindo Rabanales for making this happen.

To be continued.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment